View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2925324)   #57
Dermot Healy
Rookie

Dermot Healy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
Same meeting at Longridge. Any ideas of the car and who drove it please?
I'm fairly sure the blue car 47 was described in the '70s as a Piper F3. I know it was purchased in the mid '70s from a farmer in the Swindon area by a Rob Morgan from Leominster (who kindly supplied me with a photograph from his period of ownership which appears identical to car 47 -albeit minus the LDMC lettering on the nose) and tells me it came to him with an F3 restricted Vegantune TC 1600 engine & a spare Crossflow. Morgan never used it & sold it after about 9 mths to 'two guys from Liverpool' who he believed subsequently severely damaged it at Aintree. I would assume T. Dootson was the 'Liverpool' purchaser (though i suspect he may have been from Clitheroe) & may be the Tom Dootson who earlier raced a Huffaker FJ on a few outings in 1975. The car looks rather different from the part completed mallite monocoque Piper F3 car shown in the late 60s at the Race Car Show - so may already be a 'bitsa' - but there are basic similarities. My interest in this arises from the fact i have a mallite Piper F3 (previously owned by Richard Brown & Norman Parkinson) and every so often get excited about delving into its origins....only to be become very confused very quickly!