View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2736743)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Are you serious?
That's like comparing the cost of a moped with a sports car.

A moped can be expensive but not nearly as much as a sports car...
Each individual bike doesn't cost as much as an F1 car. However, look how many members are in a cycling team for the Tour de France, and then think that they have spares as well, and they have to pay the riders, and then fork out for the drugs, and so on...

It's nowhere near F1 expenditure, but it's not as simple or as cheap as popping down to your local bike shop and buying a decent mount for the season and going racing as Teretonga was seemingly implying. There's a reason why all the teams are backed by large companies. Like F1, it's those that have the best team around them, those with the best tacticians, the lightest bikes and the best team mates to support, that lead the sport - Contador isn't necessarily the best cyclist in the world in the same way that Jenson Button isn't

And also I don't see what this has to do with whether an F1 without a championship is viable or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
And please, stop using the Castrol rankings as an argument.
That's just a load of worthless silliness on a stick.
I wasn't, was I? I said it was a marketing ploy. I'm no fan. I am suggesting a ranking system but nothing like that - what I'm suggesting is closer to the NASCAR points system