View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3727878)   #358
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let's hope they find out soon. Nothing worse than suddenly you're going better and don't know why
I read that article (plus the official statement from McLaren on their site) and I think it is more the reverse... It's not that they don't know why it works, but rather why it was failing earlier. Why they have had a string of MGU-H failures may not be fully understood. It seems to be bearing/heat related. So why did it fail earlier and then now they have a problem free day in which they run a race distance? Even then, it is a slight bit ingenuous as I think Honda made some adjustments in Bahrain to see if it would help the MGU-H issue (no idea what they could do onsight) and maybe that helped on the last day.

As I mentioned in the Bahrain testing thread, on the Honda side, they seem to be working on engine mapping. They likely have been quite conservative up to now in attempt to get reliability. Given they are producing faster lap times (fourth fastest today) and managed to do a full race distance at the same time, they seem to be making some progress.

Also... my opinion is that we likely will NOT see any drastic improvements until they release an updated engine (physical changes and not mapping changes). There is plenty of speculation as to when that will be. But I am guessing the Spanish or Monaco GP at the earliest. And this is assuming that they really understand what the problem AND solution is and that whatever they are working on now back at HRD Sakura will have a positive impact.

Richard