Old 25 Jan 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3016675)   #19
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Don't forget to factor in circuit changes such as corner tightening that happen over the years. For this reason I would discount Jamie Spence at Mallory.
I recall that his Oulton International record was something like a 1m42.7s, or 1m43.7s and I feel sure that good as he was, he wasn't 5 seconds a lap more gooderer than the contemporary chargers.
And if it was set in 1992, wouldn't that have been on Dunlops?
As saddlebags says, the corner radii and the layout at Mallory haven't changed. Although Spence would've run on Dunlops, it was still to FF1600 Kent regs and thus, I believe, should stand as the FF1600 lap record. Every other circuit lap record has been set on ACB10's (or ACB9's) suggesting that the Avon's are a quicker tyre. Also, it's not like the factory at Melksham hasn't changed the compound over the years; it's swung around like a yo-yo.

Spence probably had a very special works engine in his Swift. Also, the reason he was so quick at Oulton Int. would be because he circulated on the pre-Knickerbrook Chicane version. That would explain the six seconds difference (as the modern cars have probably made up some of the deficit on other parts of the track).

Does anyone have anyone proof of P.Dempsey's 1m32 at Cadwell?