View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:833505)   #20
Seaman
Rookie

Seaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be very interesting. A few things to consider.

First, I think the cup on the day in 1958 was, according to the programme, called the Lookers Cup. By the 1961 Gold Cup meeting, the 1958 Salvadori win was certainly being CALLED the Gold Cup in the programme, but was it on the day in 1958?

Second, is the Gold Cup at Oulton the original? The 1955 programme has a picture of the 1954 Gold Cup and that is inscribed as the Daily Dispatch Oulton International Gold Cup race. The Cup in the Salvadori photo looks different from that one. I dont know about later ones?

Third, I have some recollection that Jackie Ickx lost the Gold Cup after winning it in 1969. Is that so? And did they ever get it back?

One further puzzle. In the Salvadori photo in his autobiography he gets the 1958 trophy (whatever it is called!) from Colin Chapman. But the Autosport report by Gregor Grant says that "Reg Parnell presented Salvadori with his trophy". Were there perhaps two cups, one of which was a cup to keep, and one of which was the returnable Gold Cup?

Anyone else know anything about this?

Of course, if Gold Cups can be awarded after the event, Surtees Historic Gold Cup win of 1981 could perhaps be given to the winner of the F3 race that day...Jonathan Palmer. I think the F3 race should have been the Gold Cup anyway...