View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3034031)   #2763
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
To refresh my memory, I just read the RCE about the R18: http://be.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue...&prev=sub&p=10

The base weight of the 2011 R18 was said to be 850 kg. That means that they had to cut weight by at least 30 kg for this year, in order to fit the hybrid system without going overweight.

Last year's V6 TDI weighed about the same as the petrol V8 from the R8. Now according to Laurent Chauveau it weighs less than the R8 engine.

In hindsight this is an interesting comment from Baretzky about the choice between V6 and V8.
Quote:
I am convinced that long term the ACO will restrict the performance of the cars - of the engines because of the speed of the cars, and the barrier of 3m30.
We had the same with the V10 against the V12. When you make 100 per cent performance, you distribute it to more cylinders so every cylinder has to work less. If the power goes from 100 to 90, the load per cylinder is reduced by 10 per cent. Then you come to a point where the amount of cylinders is too big, so the efficiency of each cylinder is not high enough, and that is why we went with a V6.
It is a bit risky. It has 25 per cent more load than a V8 has but, if the restriction comes, we are in a better position than with a V8.
So Audi correctly anticipated the 2012 restrictor and boost cut for diesel engine.