View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3663802)   #20
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Well, I know for sure that P2s are massively faster than GT500s on high speed corners like Coca-Cola and 100R and, as Suzuka has shorter straights and faster corners, that would favour P2s a lot.

I already posted this before, SGTs are much closer to SFs on Fuji than on Suzuka. Best time SGT ever did on Suzuka was 1.47.6 while SF's best was 1.36.9. On Fuji, SGT's best is 1.27.5 and SF's is 1.22.5.

5s gap on Fuji(6% more) and 10.5s on Suzuka(11% more)

Additionally, if we assume P1-Hs would lap around the same as SF on Suzuka, then, applying Silverstone percentage(from P1-Hs to P2s) we could predict a P2 laptime of ~1.45.3 on Suzuka.

This is just some very rough extrapolation, obviously, but I just did it to show that my claim is not far-fetched
This is all sensible (and I'm enjoying the extrapolation!) but I'd question the assumption here. As you say, Suzuka's layout significantly favours LMP2 over GT500. But I would add that it also significantly favours SF over LMP1-H for the same reasons - the much lighter car would get round the corners faster, given similar levels of downforce.

With that in mind I added 6% for an assumed LMP1-H Suzuka lap of 1:42.7, and then used the Silverstone times to get an assumed LMP2 lap of 1:51.5, right in the middle of the fastest race laps set in last year's Suzuka 1000km.

Huh. That'd be an interesting one-off showdown.

BTW, were you using fastest race laps throughout? My percentages were slightly different to yours so I was wondering whether it was due to this or if we were using different year's races.