View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3696184)   #94
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Ah, I didn't know about that! That's an interesting development, are there enough Group B cars in Europe with owners willing to use them?

I'm still holding out for my British Championship theory: would love to see an RS200 mixing it with the newer machinery one last time!
Steve, yes there are enough suitable cars (and drivers with budgets) for there to be some Group B-related competition in 2017 and it's fantastic that Martin is happy to endorse the Championship bearing his name.

There was a Group B rallycross display at Lydden over the WRX weekend, of course and there was a static display and on-track racing at Mettet, France last autumn. This brought out a fine array of two wheel and four wheel drive Group B machinery including Renault 5s, a Renault Alpine, a Quattro, two MG Metro 6R4s (Mark Flaherty and Rob Gibson), a Pug 205 T16 and Pat Doran in 'Rosie' the RS200 amongst others. Am going by memory so can't recall the other cars taking part.

Like you, I'd love to see the Group B cars competing against the modern supercars. Can't see that happening over the same meeting that the Group B cars are competing against eachother, though.

Shirley Gibson has been working on the Martin Schanche Trophy for some while now and it's going to be fascinating to see what happens in the new season.

Cheers, Steve