View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3703230)   #15
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I did some searching and was surprised to find that there really haven't been too many discussions related solely to scrutineering.

Alas, we're still roughly 150 days away, however my mind can't help but daydream and look forward to the middle of June. In that spirit I'm always trying to plan ahead to make the most of my time there, while also driving myself crazy with anticipation.

Now then, I feel like after three previous trips I have a pretty good grasp of what to do at the circuit for race week. However, I've only done scrutineering the one time, and I felt like I could have gotten more out of it.

I was hoping those who make a habit of scrutineering could fill me in on some suggestions and tips. Where do you situate yourself mostly? What do you get out of it? What are the dos and the don'ts?

I got there late the first day and ended up on the corner of the plaza, just before the queue for the cars splits in two. A plus was that I got to see the cars both coming in and then going back out. The negative was that it felt like other than that there wasn't a whole lot going on.

On day two I got there early and ended up on the fence line where the cars and drivers are lined up for the team photos. This was much more enjoyable, however I realized that if I wanted to stay at this spot I needed to stay at it and not give it up, otherwise someone else would snag it. That wasn't then conducive to enjoying anything else or getting any other experience.

So, what can you all who have done this more suggest? Is there a secret, relaxed area where you can see more of the cars and drivers without the crush of people and where it's easier to come and go? Should I be wherever the cars are unloaded (I never figured out where that was), or is there a place where all the drivers end up at and hang out?

Again, just trying to maximize the experience next time.