Old 17 Feb 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3615537)   #67
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
WOCCOWAYCER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOCCOWAYCER View Post
I'm almost certain this was 1986, as the Phoenix park race was '86, perhaps billy bleach can confirm ?

There is some Irish TV coverage of that race on youtube, which is well worth a look, there was a massive crowd watching the event, most of them seemed to be intoxicated, (read pi**ed).
It was certainly an experience, the race programme being governed by the pub opening hours !!

Still not totally sure on the Boot Gaymer year, I think '84 though.
Anyone care to chip in on that one ?

Going back to the crash photo of #34 Metro at Woodcote, I found this picture on Flickr of the car with the title "Terry racing a BRP Metro", which may help someone identify the driver ? I think this photo was taken in '83, judging by the livery on the Malcolm Harrison car just in front.
I have borrowed a load of race result sheets from my brother so can now fill in some of the gaps.
The Nigel Gaymer crash is in fact Paul Gaymer #19 and the year was 1983, Nigel was #20 that year.

Also the #34 car crashed at Woodcote was driven by two different people in 1983, it was driven by Terry Pudwell for the second half of the season, which fits in with the Flickr photo above.
In the early races it was driven by race driver coach John Stevens and it would appear as though it was his accident in the crash photo, I think it must have happened in qualifying on 30th May as he only did 2 laps and didn't race, at the next race 24th June, Terry Pudwell was driving #34.

If I remember correctly the throttle stuck open at the end of the Club straight and he just went straight into the wall.

One other interesting snippet I found was regarding the crowd at Phoenix Park, estimated at over 80,000 on both days !!!

A couple more photo's from '83 to wet your appetite.
Attached Thumbnails
246.jpg   236.jpg