View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3715791)   #14
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Rudolf, just to answer the last bit.

1 - There is no commercial agreement between Dunlop and the FIA.
2 - See FIA Masters Sports Car Championship Sporting Regulations which shows the allowed use of either Avons and/or Dunlops so nothing prevent any Championship of doing so.
3 - My general thought is that there are very few suppliers of period correct cross ply tyres around and very few that have the tooling to supply the whole world of historic as it is today. Don't just think of selling the tyres, it's all the tooling and moulds that are needed and this is not simple.

Cheers, Louis.
Louis

If there is no commercial arrangement between the FIA and Dunlop why do the rules insist on Dunlop tyres?

If the FIA do not insist on Dunlop tyres perhaps they could make the race organisers aware of the situation which would allow people to look for alternatives.

There are some companies who would be prepared to offer tyres but there is no point going to the considerable expense that you know about if they can't be used (Blockley is an exception and has already made a considerable investment).

Also, many cars raced on road tyres in period (early Lotuses using Michelin X for example) but it does not seem possible to use such 'original' tyres these days.

Cheers
Peter
p.s. just looked at the Homologation forms and was amused to see that the two examples I picked showed different inlet manifolds on the engine photo to that of the inlet manifold. I assume scrutineers were not as rigorous in those days or were GT cars allowed more flexibility?