Thread: Group B
View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3675090)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WRC is a tricky fix to cure.

To bring back the variety in events would make the series far more expensive. If you have a Safari you have to build a car to take that punishment, it doesn't exist anywhere else. It got to the point eventually that early WRC spec cars could compete in Safari, but it was half the event then that it was even in the early 90's

Cars are tricky to fix. They all sound similar, they look similar yes, and they do slide, its a fallacy to suggest they don't, it is just very controlled. The Loeb and Solberg era was the worst for sliding and neutral handling, that is what took WRC to where it is now. They dont sound vicious like GpB, they dont make you stand back in awe even though they are astonishingly fast still. I dont really know why, as they should!

Bringing it back is an almost impossible task, because largely of WRX, which as a series in many ways is utterly flawed but is clawing back people of a newer generation and all sorts of easily pleased fans to rally type racing and events that have drifted away.

The cars though nothing like as spectacular as GpB to listen or watch are driven to and over a limit much like modern WRC cars, they smash into each other on tracks designed to encourage that, which apparently is great, and a huge big budget media company is pushing it with more weight than probably any other series right now on social media, networking hard within the sport and on tv.

WRC needs to re-invent itself somehow and has done for years. The glory days are gone, and the only way you get tham back is to make events longer and go all over theri host country, and make it free for fans while making it safe. Local rallying has become almost non spectatr due to fatalities i the UK so it will eventually die here too.

A pretty much impossible task.

I was lucky I saw the GpB cars and the alost as good GpA driver era.

The modern generation has had one driver domination for 15 years, no shock it has fallen off a cliff