Thread: Tooling around.
View Single Post
Old 29 May 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3081020)   #9
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button will be driving a McLaren and a tba driver will be driving a Caterham around the streets of Dublin next Monday.

Reminds me of the most surreal thing I ever saw. Anyone remember the film 'the Commitments'. This was filmed in one of the worst suburbs of Dublin - Darndale. During the Celtic Tiger years, the Darndale area was largely rebuild and given a posher name. There was one particular new housing estate with 'aspirations' - the interiors of the houses were designed by Laurence Llewellyn Bowen and the gardens by Dermuid Gavin. The were the principal sponsors of the Ireland A1GP team.

So because they sponsored the team, the A1GP car would be driven around the housing estate for the residents' amusement. I remember going along one day to watch out of curiosity. They had 2 x A1GP cars there. Every half hour or so, a bemused looking Ralph Firman would get into one of the cars and drive it, do a few doughnuts, some high speed drive-bys etc. around this housing estate full of semi-ds.