View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2731735)   #163
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
No, I think you just have no clue what you are babbling about. The post you referenced said energy recovery would be allowed from the braking into the corners, otherwise what would be the point of having a hybrid system? As for the release, it sounded like the rules are free as long as the energy is used only in addition to the natural acceleration of the car with the throttle, no push-to-pass buttons. Although I'm not sure how that would work for the electric drive down pitlane that every seems to think teams want, guess under a certain speed a button could be used similar to pitlane limiter and braking into pitlane would help top off the system.
As for ABS for a TC system, isn't ABS as a whole outlawed in most series?? Seems like it, guys wouldn't be sliding off the track with the wheels locked if they had ABS onboard.
You guessed right this is the most fundamental point into thinking of a hybrib solution... so its ok the rhetoric. My French is a little rusty... well more than a little,but:

• Les systèmes de récupération d’énergie par les freins ne doivent pas être actifs dans les courbes (interdiction de l’aide au pilotage).

"dans les courbes" means inside the curves/corners... how in the hell are they going to manage that, and impose the rule... that is what i'm babbling about.

A technical solution all mechanical ?? ... electronic??... if restrictions go drakonian its equivalent of stopping brake recovery, many curves most of braking time its done already inside of it, specially the medium ones... some curves, the fast ones, some braking is done already inside the curve, there is a lot of situations when this happens, leading to a considerable waste of energy recovery possibilities, making the efficiency of the hybrid system to go down and the cost of implementing the restrictions go very high.

Don't worry about push to pass buttons, if recovery is deficient, there will only be enough juice to help in the first phases of acceleration for circuits like lemans. If they wanted an electric hybrid solution to fail... as long as there are suckers to take on the costs... only for the marketing of being "green"... this is a perfect rule for that.

That is why i say... i never heard of "rumors" about Audi testing an hybrid solution, and they don't have it in any commercial car if i'm not mistaken. So counting on the lax of rules to allow the continuation of 2010 type cars, its very possible that Audi R18 doesn't present an hybrid solution per se... maybe heat recuperation to pre-heat the fuel, and exhaust pressure to drive small generators to mainly(help?) power all engine auxiliaries by electric motors; water, oil and fuel pumps...

The electric/electronic control of those functions would make more easy to implement a real HCCI mode for the engine... and that could be a very good advantage already.