View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2942982)   #25
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see this as a economic boondoggle for the State of Texas or the citizens of Austin.

I'm up here in Dallas - a mere 3 hours drive north of Austin - and I have a dozen friends with a trip to Austin and the USGP on their calendars. We'll be making the trek down in either June or November. And if I have a dozen friends, think of the maybe additional 1,000 from the immediate North Texas area who'll make the trip. And not just in North Texas - Houston is the other major metropolitan area just 3 hours away.

Now, down here in the South, we're planted firmly in NASCAR country. Just think of the curiousity factor from all those NASCAR bubbas who might want to check out the race just for kicks.

The question/concern of 100,000 fans coming to Austin, I believe, is hugely overrated. I mean, afterall, if UT football is capaple of getting 100,000 fans 4 weekends out of the year, I just can't see this thing failing or becoming an economic albatross around the neck of the Texas taxpayers.

Also, I haven't seen it brought up - it may have in the previous Austin GP thread - but what about the potential economic impact from the other race series coming to COTA?

V8 Supercars and Moto GP? And consider this: the ALMS will have a race in Oklahoma City next year. How much longer before the ALMS announces back-to-back races in OKC and Austin.