View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3776627)   #455
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
JST as a cup for rookies was much more reasonable as it is with Rookie of the Year in NASCAR for example. New rules are a bit messy, completely unnecessary. Why should we recognize drivers who've never made it to the podium and give them some trophies? For being the best of the worst? Illogical.
You're overthinking this. Yes, backmarkers will be eligible for this, but they aren't going to win the trophy. You still have to beat all the other eligible drivers consistently, and if a genuine rookie isn't consistently not only beating the likes of Lines and Depper, then perhaps they shouldn't be in the BTCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
They've just turned it into a charity class. Totally unnecessary. This isn't GT racing.
No they haven't. Think about who benefits from this rule change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
A separate trophy for Rookies against perennial back markers doesn't exactly inspire. I would rather see just the rookies battle it out for this, even if there is only a handful of them.
What if there's only one or two of them? Give someone a trophy for being the only rookie? Or being the least bad of two?

If you don't have half a dozen rookies, then how valid is any rookie championship really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
So say a rookie comes in a gets pipped to this trophy by someone who has been in the series for years - lets say Martin Depper (I have nothing against him BTW), then this really makes me wonder if they have this setup right?
But Depper isn't going to win this.
If it had been in place this year it would have gone to Epps - he's only in his second season, and wasn't far off Sutton to win the JST in 2016.

This gives talented drivers, like Epps, Hill and Whorton-Eales, who don't have the opportunity to race for BMR or WSR, a reason to stay in the BTCC instead of going to do something else.