View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2005, 13:53 (Ref:2243609)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
This is a very famous car, still owned and kept by Alfa in their museum and allowed out occasionally for special events. As Dave Brand says it is the 1938 8C 2900B fitted with a body by Carrozzeria Touring and the only one built in this form. It was entered for that year's Le Mans carrying the no 19, and that photo above is therefore taken in the pits at Le Mans. The car was driven by Sommer and Biondetti, and was devastatingly fast. At the end of 12 hours, it was leading by 5 laps comfortably outpacing all its pursuers with performance in hand. After 21 hours it had a 12 lap lead, due both to its continuing pace and attrition amongst its competitors. However, it then had a front wheel puncture which damaged the bodywork. Following pitwork it continued to lead but then had a engine valve brake resulting in several pitstops and finally retirement, when Biondetti limped into the pits at the end of 22 hours. A Magnificent run, a magnificent failure and a magnificent motor car. A truly great GT car before that term was coined.
Just to add, it was basically the lone challenger to the hordes of French Delages, Delahayes and Talbots. The Alfa ran ahead of them - and the Bugatti race record pace from the year before - before backing off a bit.

Such was it's lead it took the eventual winner an hour or more to actually overhaul the distance covered by the Alfa. One of the great hard-luck stories of Le Mans history.

It's one of my all-time favourites, partly due to that story, and partly due to its appearance. I've always preferred coupes, and that was one of the few closed cars to appear at Le Mans before WW2. I think it's fantastic!

As an extra note, I believe there was a smaller engined Alfa 8C entered the following year with similar bodywork, but that car had a nightmare run.

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jul 2008 at 09:43.