View Single Post
Old 16 Nov 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3332304)   #2562
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machin View Post
Has the Deltawing lasted 8 hours yet?!

In seriousness though, if we add the performance of a Stohr DSR car (~200bhp, 450kg incl driver) to my VIR chart, you can see that it is only slightly slower than the Deltawing but uses only 57% of the Deltawing's power (and hence, roughly, 57% of the fuel consumption). In terms of fuel used to lap time it massively out-performs the Deltawing. Giving it an ACO crash-tested tub would add some weight, but then giving it the same power as the Deltawing would make it VERY VERY quick indeed....

And it will do that for 24 hours?

The DW has lasted more than 8 hours at Petit Le Mans. We never got to find out how long it would last mechanically at Le Mans. The engine on the Le Mans car was no more aggressively tuned than a typical ricemobile, so having the engine finish 24H shouldn't have been a problem, but we never got to find out.

I don't think these motorcycle-based engines could last 24H, but in any case, what I would really like to see is a class where cars like that and the DW can play with each other and we can see what works.