View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1687456)   #41
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Wow! What a question! Only five, ehh. Well being pretty ancient means I have a bit of an odd list and in no particular order:

Mario Andretti - peerless in American and darn fine in European racing: absolutely one of the most versatile drivers ever.

Michael Schumacher - a master behind the wheel - peerless team builder - perhaps unmatched on the technical (engineering) side.

Niki Lauda - "Super Rat." Extraordinary combination of brains, guile, skill and guts.

Graham Hill - personification of the "club" era of F1 before it went "corporate."

JM Fangio - the "benchmark" by which we still measure driver greatness.

Honourable mention: Clay Regazzoni, Ronnie Peterson, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Jody Scheckter, Reutemann, Emmo, Bruce McLaren, Mark Donohue, John Surtees, Black Jack Brabham, Jackie Stewart, JP "Jumper" Jarier, Phil Hill, Nigel Mansell...and, well, can I pick 15 instead of five???
Nice list, you young whippersnapper! OMG - how could I have omitted Fangio!? Mea culpa, mea culpa, maxima mea culpa.

Last edited by Rex Judicata; 20 Aug 2006 at 16:20.