Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1628346)   #44
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I've been ranting uncontrollably but I don't think what I've said is unclear

I mentioned above that I had some 1a tyres that became non compliant when the new edition of the blue book came out - this was mentioned as one example of how daft the 1a list is

As for being different that's fine in my book but not when it makes no sense.

The fact is that those in our sport who would prefer not to raise these issues greatly out number those who are in at the sharp end with the rule making and so forth. Rule making is a thankless task - I know that - and I also know that you can't please everyone. But that's no excuse for silly rule making - or more importantly, clinging on to rules that no longer make sense.

List 1 or whatever it was known when it first appeared was brought in because of pressure from tyre companies who sponsored production saloon car racing (Uniroyal and Firestone if I remember correctly). I remember watching races where there was loads of fuss about turbo boost levels and tyres - the Yokohama A001 HFR was only available in certain sizes so the playing field wasn't level. This predated so called R compound tyres.

We're a long way down the line now but R compounds are very widespread and available from numerous manufacturers. Ironically, suitable list 1a tyres aren't available in as many sizes.

So, my view is that 1a no longer serves a purpose.

And please don't repeat all those arguments about them wearing out too fast. That has already been refuted in this thread and as for those comments about heavier more powerful car wearing them out etc - my comment is that's nonsense - why should drivers of the heavy powerful stuff be able to insist that other competitors run on hard tyres?? That's like saying the heavy cars MUST run on soft tyres.

As explained earlier in the thread, I have switched to historic classes where cut slicks are allowed. You won't find a bigger supporter of roadgoing racing than me but even though our car is one of the very few to arrive on the road I'm now competing in 'trailer' classes.

I agree that the 1a classes will survive if that's what everybody wants. But if they have no choice, then what has 1a achieved?? The answers are all set out above.

But still the 1a brigade sit smugly on what they think is the moral high ground. Who are they?? Well, I've come across the 1a mentality so many times that perhaps I'm guilty of putting people in boxes but they are the people out there who winge in paddocks all over the place about people who win or set records on 1b tyres as if they're war criminals.

And they are also the people who insert 1a tyres into regulations without any real justification and then refuse to change on the basis that they want to be the same as everybody else. How's that for being different, then???

Now, I've made my point and even repeated some of the points against 1a that I've made previously. Rather than just quoting some of my comments out of context, let's hear your substantive points in favour of 1a (note that comments such as "it's in the rules" won't win the debate).

And by the way, I don't think the "put up or shove off" mentality works particularly well and I don't think many people appreciate that way of thinking. Who, precisely, do you think you are? If you can't deal with strong arguments against your own point of view perhaps you should climb down a bit.

Consider yourself a member of the 1a brigade...