View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:00 (Ref:2243628)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
What we're up against is the vagaries of colour reproduction - only by seeing the model & the real car together can we be really sure; then there's always the problem that a car as old as this will probably not have it original paint, so we can't be sure of its exact colour when raced at Le Mans.
Very true, and red seems to be particularly problematic. I have (well, had, it seems to have gone missing in a recent move!) a Solido model of the 1970 Le Mans winning 917. The model is orange, but a picture I have of it shows it to be more red (which is certainly the colour that other Porsche Salzburg cars seem to use). Looking into it a bit more closely, I found that many pictures, and the several models produced of the car, presented very different shades. I'm still certain that the car was more red than orange!

As for the Alfa tail, I would imagine that it is a particularly difficult shape to capture. I was fortunate enough to see the real car at the Goodwood Festival a few years back, and I remember thinking how unusual it looked from the back.