Thread: Worst crash...
View Single Post
Old 23 Dec 2003, 00:44 (Ref:818593)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graham Hickman's rolled Jordan at Shelsley in 93/4(?) was the worst I've attended. Poor Graham fractured his skull and various other bits in an impact with a buried tree stump and was leaking and not breathing when I arrived. Fortunately all the training kicked in as it should and he was back racing a few months later. I can still hear the sound of the engine screaming as his foot held it flat, and whenever I go down that bank and smell wild garlic and crushed rhubarb it all comes back - funny how the scent recalls the memory.

The worst looking crash was also at Shelsley when the 500 went over the bank spitting out the driver on the way (pictured in the Christmas Autosport edition), but fortunately the driver escaped significant injury.

There was also the infamous Eurocar fire at Mallory and Tony Proctor's inverted Eurocar sandwiched between the pit lane barriers.

Fortunately, these are in the minority, and I'd rather be attending the ones where you meet the driver coming towards you any day.

Stay safe, won't y'all?