View Single Post
Old 29 Jan 2003, 08:48 (Ref:489129)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
That was done as well Steve. In fact after the first incident, there was an hour long meeting between race officials and representatives of the karting club in question. All karters and karter reps (parents!) attended this. All decided to race. Whilst I was not at the briefing (they left us on post for the hour they were having their meeting) it is my understanding that all drivers were fully briefed on the agreed protocol for this corner prior to racing resuming.

We were all concerned about the use of a yellow on that corner for the usual reason - how on earth do you let the drivers know if/when there is an actual incident and they need to take avoiding action.

I wasn't on the post in question, but I counted 4 reports on the radio of overtaking under yellows in the 2 races preceding the 2nd incident - there may have been more.

I don't want to get into the political ins and outs of this situation as a) it would take too long to explain b) I'm only party to 2nd hand info for most of it and c) I don't want to leave myself open to accusations in a very volatile situation.

What I really need is feedback on the actual configuration of the chicane and how it compares with chicanes in the UK - I've already had some great feedback, but would love to get much more if possible.

The impression I'm getting at the moment is that if you're going to build a chicane, you do NOT make it wide enough for more than one vehicle. Since this is a very sharp corner, can anyone give me an indication of where they would start a single lane chicane in this area? I would have thought it would have to start before the corner? The big problems we've always had with the "big" corners at Mondello is that the karts will go in 3 by 3 and then discover that you can only get 2 out the other side (this was prior to chicane).

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 Jan 2003 at 08:49.