Thread: WEC New Perrin LMP1 !
View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2017, 12:41 (Ref:3761173)   #338
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
They'd need to get it back to LMP900/pre-hybrid LMP1 levels of development freedom before DPI can seriously replace present day LMP1.

Not to mention you have that whole air restrictor vs fuel flow performance balancing going on between DPI and LMP1. I don't see LMP1 privateers ditching fuel flow meters in favor of air restrictors after spending the money to develop their engines for fuel flow, and I don't see DPI-like efforts going to fuel flow, either.

LMP1 right now needs LMP1 specification cars. The ACO aren't going to dump their current rules a year or two early just to get more cars on the grid. Which I think at this moment is stupid, but you have at least two constructors developing cars to the current regs, which for privateers are supposed to be good until 2022.
I think if brands, Acura, Mazda, Nissan or Cadillac want to go to Le Mans the engine would not be problems, all of that have the possibility to use a engine with fuel flow limits. Nissan have the V6 used in by kolles, Acura have the V6 Honda of Indy Cars (engine that was to be used in the project of ARX 04 LMP1 that never happened), then Cadillac could be use the Chevy engine of Indy Cars and Mazda could benefit from the business agreement with Toyota and use the Toyota 4 in line turbo of GT500 and that is available for LMP1.
We know that the Chassis of Oreca and Ligier can lower their weight to 830 kg to adapt to LMP1 P, I guess the same thing happens with Dallara.
Joest and Mazda of course are more complicated with the currently overweight Riley chassis.
A new aerodynamic package for Le Mans and modifications to the suspensions for Michelin or Dunlop should not be complicated for the teams and brands involved.
I honestly do not see it possible for 2018, maybe for 2019 and only for Le Mans. A victory of Toyota in Le Mans in 2018 could reduce to 2 cars its participation in 2019 or even leave the series and that could be a great opportunity for Acura, Mazda, Nissan and Cadillac to win Le Mans.
Also we all know that Penske and Joest want to be there.