View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3667193)   #3740
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't see the NSX GT3 being a big seller at this point, unless of course they make it quite cheap and offer plenty of support. The PWC/IMSA effort/efforts are sounding like it/they will be factory-supported, and surely a few will go to SuperGT, but outside of that I don't see it being a big hit.

There are just too many proven packages from more prestigious manufacturers that are capable of offering drivers and support.

The Viper was a capable car, built by a well-known constructor with factory support, and was a follow-up to the popular Competition Coupe (that had good longevity), but that didn't help it sell.

Not sure what advantage the NSX would have over any other choice... Speed will just be equalized with the BoP, amateur drivers already have several comfortable and confidence-inspiring cars to choose from, Honda won't be able to match the setup book of the bigger GT3 sellers, and they don't have a stable of factory drivers built up to offer to teams. Not sure what their parts supply situation in Europe is either, which is the biggest market for GT3 cars.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like most teams care about setting themselves apart from the rather same-y GT3 grids we see everywhere by choosing a less common car. I really expected a few more of the Vipers to sell to teams looking to not just be yet another 458/R8/SLS/Z4. It makes sense in some cases, I mean I guess most wealthy businessmen paying for a seat would rather say they race a Ferrari or gull-wing Mercedes than a Viper or Reiter Camaro or Callaway Corvette or whatever, and most of the pro-driven cars are factory backed which the Viper/Chev/etc wouldn't have.

Anyway, to make a game out of it, I'll predict 2 for PWC, 1 for IMSA (2 if they are serious about it though), 3 to SuperGT, 2 to other Asian teams (1 of which will only run at club level), and 1 to Australia.