View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3754177)   #1062
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's a race? Well LMPs won that race decades ago. In fact they have a full system too, not a halo.
Did you read post #1058? My post has nothing to do with "a race" for a closed cockpit.

I was referring to open wheel categories where there have been driver fatalities most recently. Wilson in IndyCar, and Surtees in F2. None of those categories will have a head protection device in 2018. Why has F1 jumped the gun when it has had no fatalities that the Halo would have prevented??

Felipe Massa's accident at Hungary 2009 is also bought up in regards to why F1 needs the Halo. Have to ask, in the case of a similar situation as Massa at Hungary 2009, what if the spring - which would have hit the drivers helmet, but in 2018 possibly deflect off of the Halo and hits the driver in the chest - where he has zero protection?

If the spring hits the helmet there's a pretty good chance the driver will be fine. If the spring deflects off the Halo and hits the driver in the chest at 300km/h, I'm pretty sure he will not be fine. I think it would be a very serious situation for the driver.