View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3740454)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The majority of that is just ITV. I can also watch Celebrity Love Island (I feel dirty typing that) online via ITV4, but I don't think they've fully embraced online viewing. Its just streaming TV for the majority of it, and whilst that's excellent for where BTCC is sitting, that's not going to be enough for the future. That's why MotoGP, WEC, WRC are moving to dedicated online system - because that's how younger generations see accessing content now.

Don't get me wrong, what BTCC is doing through ITV is great for the series. But let's not pretend it's pioneering online viewing. Its just some ITV live with some on demand and alternative channels - which is what sky was doing a decade ago. BTCC is doing great but it's not on the level of other online systems, as it's just an adapted TV service.

I'd like to see the series streamed on the BTCC website, with the entire show watchable on demand. I'd like to see live timing introduced. I'd like to see selectable camera angles (onboard are the usual choice for this). I'd like to see them move away from the dying flash platform, as it'd improve device compatibility. I'd like to see a BTCC app (phones and consoles) which allows streaming and timing to be viewed.

BTCC current coverage is great (usually, it's been a bit rough this year, don't know why), but it currently is an adapted TV setup rather than fully embracing an online system like others do. I understand some will prefer the current setup, and that's just fine, but it isn't as flexible as other series, and technology wise it's limiting itself with ITV video format choice. Feel free to disagree, but simple streaming of ITV 4 is not fully embracing the potential of online viewing IMO.

Edit: their policing of YouTube clips is also quite out dated and something even F1 is now going back on with its new owners. Duke video seem to be heavily involved in the removal of BTCC content from the Internet. This was how most series went about things in the 90s and 00s. BTCC is still catching up in that regard.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 12 Jun 2017 at 10:05.