View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1899107)   #9
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks 'chunterer' for the kind words!

We are indeed talking about the Group A cars - I think we can leave all the Group 1 cars for another thread if that's OK?

I have just found an advert from November 1991 which features Colin Pearcy advertising an MG Metro Turbo (006) For Sale (along with his ex-Bastos Vitesse). Colin used the MG during the 1987 British Touring Car Championship. I have also found the same car advertised by Gerry Marshall in April 1994.

Patrick Watts and Tony Pond were the two 'main' team drivers during 1983 - Watts debuted a non-turbo'd MG Metro 1300 (002) at Thruxton on 4 April, and used that car in that specification for the next 4 rounds of the series, before it was upgraded to turbo specification from the 16 July meeting at Silverstone.

Pond joined the series one round later than Watts, at the 10 April meeting at Brands Hatch - but his car (001) was in turbo specification right from his debut. He used that car for the next 3 rounds of the series, but had a new chassis (003) from the 16 July meeting at Silverstone onwards.

003 was also used at the 1983 Silverstone Tourist Trophy meeting on 11 September in the hands of Pond / Watts - a European Touring Car Championship round.

For the final round of the BTCC series at Silverstone on 2 October, the two main drivers were joined by Martin Brundle in a third car (001). If I remember right, the Rover Vitesse was in stiff competition for the overall title with Andy Rouse's Alfa GTV6. As the latter was in the same class as the Metros, Austin Rover were trying to deprive the Italian marque of points in an attempt to support their title aspirations with the Rover.

Two new chassis were built for the 1984 BTCC season - 006 for Patrick Watts and 005 for Robin Brundle. They contested the first two rounds of the series and then were joined by Paul Taft's privateer entry (002) from the 1 April meeting at Silverstone. All three cars competed in the series for a further 4 rounds until the team withdrew in support of the Rover Vitesse's exclusion from the 1983 series.

003 was used in the 1984 Donington 500 ETC race on 29 April in the hands of Watts / Brundle, but a 2-car entry returned to the ETC for the 1984 Silverstone Tourist Trophy meeting on 8 / 9 September, with 006 being driven by Watts / Rob Hall and 003 by Brundle / Tim Harvey.

007 was used twice by Armin Hahne in the 1984 German Saloon Car Championship at Hockenheim on 5 August and Zolder on 19 August.

For some reason I cannot find any reference to 004 at the moment?

I trust the above is of interest, although it doesn't really explain where any of the cars are nowadays.

Last edited by MG Rover Sport; 24 Apr 2007 at 08:18.