View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2281340)   #65
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I just re-read what I wrote in the post above, I left a few bits out and somehow it sounds a bit harsher than I wanted it to sound initially.

Quote:
And in a way, this is the very nature of touring car racing, i.e. a contest to decide which roadcar is the fastest, but on the other hand, this increases the developement costs for competitive "real" racing cars significantly. Especially with the very restrictive rulesets that we have in most series today.
Forgot to add: Of course, the FIA tries to curb the rising costs through special dispensations and weight changes, but this creates all the politics that can really take the fun out of racing.

I still think that S2000 is head and shoulders above the current DTM, as the grids are decent and the racing is mostly good and at times great, but somehow I begin to get bored with the neverending weight-discussions, the (relative) lack of variety and the rather unimaginative cars.
That's why I'd really like to see a series for spectacular, yet simple tubeframe cars with the great racing we see in WTCC, but without the the endless politics.

I've recently watched some Trans/Am races from the 80s on youtube, and I think this really was touring car racing at its best. Spectacular and powerful cars, a wide variety of makes and models, huge fields and great racing.