Thread: Goodwood 2001
View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2001, 00:47 (Ref:56144)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tim, before I got married and had kids, I used to do long-distance bicycle touring, and on numerous occasions in France, I have come upon racing clubs chuffing up mountains on their light weight bikes. Invariably there would be a couple of skinny old chaps in racing suits etc, keeping up with the rest. This is one of my ambitions as I become an old fart- to still be physically fit and to be (a little) like Brabham, Moss, or even Paul Newman, with the eyesight and reflexes to still relish tossing a car into an apex at 70 plus years. Pretty good role models -much to my wife's chagrin!
ps: I recall seeing footage of Ford testing the GT-40 at Goodwood, must have been right before it was closed. Seem to remember that Lord March had an affinity for smaller displacement "smart and nimble" cars, and that the big, powerfull stuff put him off-plus, as you said, the track just wasn't suited to the speeds of the newer machinery. Plus, I believe his son said that his father would get passionate about something and after a given time, it would suddenly peter out.
Oh well, perhaps one day I will make it there for the events.(one can wish...)