View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3226607)   #17
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no problem with a second Canadian race out west. However, the sooner they move the race from Toronto to Mosport the better.

The Toronto Indy now draws MAX 20,000 for race day. I mean MAX. I was there in 2010 and if there was 20,000 there that would be absolutely it. The circuit is the most horrendous place ever for spectators. Lousy viewing. The Grandstands are smaller and less plentiful than in the Halcyon days of the event in the early to mid 90's, and half the track is now unavailable for any viewing. From Turns 5 through to 9, it is completely blocked off for any spectator viewing.

Combine that with ridiculous food and drink policies and price gouging and draconian security staff, and it is not an experience I will ever put myself through again. We were lucky to have seats in Turn Three in 2010, but those stands hold - maybe - 1,500 people, and they were NOT FULL.

It is going to be an absolute embarrassment for Indy Car when they get 15 to 20 thousand for the Toronto Indy, while Mosport gets about 60 to 70 thousand for race day for the Camping World Truck Series race. Mosport (or Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for those being sponsor correct) is absolutely transforming itself. New state of the art Media and Conference Centre, new access road, state of the art paddock area, lengthened pit lane, new safety grading and paving of run-off areas in various areas of the track - including Turn Two, new spectator bridges, new grading and spots for prime RV view areas. The place is now becoming a state of the art venue again. With Ron Fellows and partners now running the place, Indy Car would be crazy to want to stay in Toronto when they could race at Mosport.

As for Fort Erie, I will believe it when I see it. Building it now will be a white elephant, unless they do happen to get a Sprint Cup or Nationwide Race. I grew up about 20 minutes from where the new track will be going. People have to realize this. The track will be drawing primarily from the Toronto market, not Niagara. For people in Toronto, it is closer to drive to Mosport than Fort Erie. If they think they will be drawing from the U.S., they have a huge strike against them. PASSPORTS. U.S. Citizens need one to cross to Canada just like we do to the U.S. Why would someone from New York or Pennsylvania want to deal with cross border traffic and getting passports for a race, when they can go to Michigan, The Glen or Pocono for the same thing?? As for Indy Car. It would draw far better at a road course like Mosport than an oval at Fort Erie.

Just my two cents worth.