View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3816123)   #965
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes, I get that, of course people won't actually vote for it, but people getting hand outs they don't actually need whilst some services are crying out for more funding, and whilst the Press is continually highlighting resource shortfall issues in the public services, is an anathema to me.

And whilst I do think that the country, as a whole, does need to pay more tax, it would be wrong to increase the tax bill of the lower paid, whilst others are receiving benefits for things that they can afford themselves.
The whole system is geared up towards (ran by) the wealthy.
It's not difficult to avoid penalising the low paid - increase higher tax rates.

Given the nature of this forum, it's interesting to look at tax rates in the historic period, something like 50% purchase tax on cars, 90% income tax in the 50s & 60s - and the people paying those rates somehow survived.

It's sad that the poor people who think the EU is to blame for their situation voted for tax cuts which won't have made a noticeable difference to their incomes whereas the rich benefit vastly.