View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:05 (Ref:173286)   #42
Lisa Davidson
Rookie

Lisa Davidson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid the reason Ross said that is because he's absolutely right. It's not a racist comment or anything but a fact of life. How come he's the only karter that my mum has heard of? Because he is a young black racing driver with backing from McLaren and gets a huge amount of publicity from it. It's not down to his talent - I know very little about karting but I'm sure there was a guy just like so many others - called Fraser Sheeder or something and he was beating Lewis all the time! I can't see him in a Renault yet!

As for the Schumacher quote - we don't know the full story he do we. For all we know, someone working for Hamilton asked Schuey for a quote. And if that someone also works for McLaren, add a quick spin on the quote and send it out to every newspaper under the sun and there's another story for him.

So how did he get on today at Rockingham as I saw the top 6 result and no sign of him... That's why I think he's not ready because Formula Renault is a highly sophisticated piece of machinery. He may be able to chuck a Formula Ford around the circuit with no problems but the jump straight to this when he can't even drive a road car! I mean - come on!

And also just because he's backed by McLaren does not mean he will drive for them one day so Ron is not taking a risk in that department. After all, look at Nick Heidfeld and Ricardo Zonta.

I'm not saying that he is a bad driver in any way because he may turn out very good but then I would expect that of ANYONE who has had his backing and not living in the knowledge that if he wrecks it, he has to pay for it. He has had it easy for a long time and so many others haven't. Perhaps when he is racing against a load of other guys that have had it easy too, he will not shine through at all. but I go what I say all along, I don't want to see the people who have it easy all the time get to the top, they should work at it just like everyone else does in every other walk of life - business or sport. This is something the MSA has to sort out now and soon and cap the costs that people spend and also perhaps sort out greedy teams too - after reading the article in Autosport about F3000 teams paying ridiculous wage bills to their mechanics, how long do you think it will take for those sorts of wages to filter down to the lower levels? Not long.