View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2847835)   #20
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

Organiser Roy Craig's full Race Report has now appeared on the JHKC website...

Hamilton Flyers are already in training for the 2011 event with Lucy Owens and Anna Richards taking part in Club 100's Endurance races....http://www.club100.co.uk/ We are also being joined this year by Mandy Smith who is race-cordinator for the MG Metro Cup....http://www.mgmetrocup.co.uk/ Peter and Craig have said they would like to join us again if all goes to plan so we should have 6 drivers plus reserve in the team.

Roll on November and a top 10 finish ....

Paula

Here's the report in full and link to the JHKC's website....http://johnnyherbertkarting.co.uk/

Karting Report 2010

Firstly I apologise to all those of you who have been waiting for this report of the 2010 Karting Challenge, yes it is March and I have no excuse except that I have just not been able to get on to it, my full time job has been so manic but not for much longer because after 50 years of working much too hard I will be retiring in May…whoopee!

I hope that this will also make the months leading up to Johnny’s event a lot less stressful too!

The Karting Challenge for 2010 fell on a different date than we had been used to for quite a few years, I usually reckon on holding it a week after the Macau Grand Prix and so would have been November 28th….. however Johnny had been competing in the Superstars Series and the last event of the year was scheduled for that day, the first time since 1994 that his racing has clashed with his karting day !! ……….. Johnny made it a worthwhile change by promptly winning the first of the 2 races held in Kyalami, South Africa that day, this placed him 7th in the championship.

So it was to be a week later, Sunday 5th December at our usual venue of The Raceway Docklands, Michael Segal, the owner of this fantastic circuit and Jolyon Brand…… race director had everything prepared and waiting for us.
Such is the British weather at this time of year it managed to play a part again, the previous few days had seen record breaking early snowfalls and low temperatures had insured that it was not going away quickly, not so much of a problem for us in London but it did effect those travelling from the North and far West so alas some people didn’t make it.
Our timetable for the day stays pretty much the same from year to year with the doors opening at 9.00am but with the proviso that all drivers arrive by 10.00am !! (if only!)

Dave Ayers our official photographer was eagerly awaiting drivers so he could shoot the team photos and Julie Izzard had the unenviable task of getting them all together on arrival so he could do just that!
Simon Wheeler and Neil Morphew where once again in charge of the driver registration desk, Lou Massara was handling the celebrities ( not literally of course!)

Phil Scordellis and John Thorpe where setting up shop in the restaurant to display the raffle and auction items and event T shirts, while Andy Baker and Antony Canon performed a great job as runners and fixers!
Our benefitting charity this year saw our support return to helping The Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance unit, on hand from there was Claire Marshall, Kirsty Simpson and Melanie Smith while their medical director Dr Dhushey Kumar was not only driving in the event but was the medic too! I also thank them for their help in the lead up to the event.

Top TV presenter Gareth Jones had once again agreed to lend us his skills by conducting interviews during the signing on period to entertain those patiently waiting for action to start, Gareth has been supporting Johnny’s event for many years and he always heads his aptly named team “Gareth Jones on Speed”. Gareth was also on hand to introduce a kart demonstration by an organisation that helps injured troops, it is run by Dave Player who does a fantastic job of getting these unfortunate lads back out enjoying themselves racing specially adapted karts, Johnny also tried his hand in one and stated that if it was quick he would consider using it in the race! …….. this idea was dropped when he considered that his team mate Johnny Mowlem might not adapt as quick !!!

After this and with most drivers present we moved on to the mandatory driver briefing followed by practice and qualifying, as always a very hectic 30 minutes with so many drivers to have a few laps whilst also trying to get a clear lap and get a good grid position.

When the dust had settled and much to his delight it was Johnny’s team on pole, the fastest time set by super quick Joseph Reilly who just so happened to lead the winning team in 2009 !! 2nd slot on the grid went to Race Drivers Inc headed by Tom Ingram, 3rd position was taken by 5 Live F1 …… I’ve no doubt by Anthony Davidson

Old and new faces were amongst the teams this year, we had a return to the fray by Dave Pritchard and his team The Weston Boys, Howard Kayman and Lane Bednash brought along Ministry of Speed and Rapid response respectively, showing us their skills. Simon Delamare showed he is not afraid of a challenge by entering for a 2nd year his team The Odd Shapes who aren’t odd at all really !!

Team Forum was again made up of Johnny’s fans from his web site led by the invincible Lou Massara as well as helping me with the organisation of the event too!

Race Drivers Inc returned with a team led by young racer Tom Ingram.
Ben Constanduros not only filmed the event (click the link on the homepage to view) but also headed a team of top racers who included Ginetta Cars owner Richard Dean. Johnny’s daughters Aimelia and Chloe were also present for a 2nd year fielding their team of friends whilst also adding to the amount of Dad’s helmets to be seen lapping the circuit !!

New teams for the event this year were Team Dentfix entered by John Chatto, Get Solutions entered by Ben Scammel, Homeaway Arrows entered by Nicolas Honnorat, Schmuckers entered by Lee Edgell who is also the man who very kindly gets our special event T shirts together, this year they sported a unique cartoon by none other than Jim Bamber so many thanks for that Jim and Lee, PorscheWorx was entered by Mario Machera, the last new entry team to mention was to be an all girl line up and it was no fault of the team leader/entrant that it wasn’t to be, the entrant was none other than top Motorsport Photographer Paula Hamilton with her team Hamiltons Flyers. 2 of her original line up were still in, Lucy Owens and Anna Richards and they were joined by top racing star Louise Richardson however it was deemed that 4 in the team would still be a tall order so 2 Men !! were drafted in, Peter Griffiths via the forum web site and Motoring journalist Craig Llewellyn I did hear after the event that they both enjoyed the experience!!

Moving on to the celebrity driver teams 5 Live F1 joined us with a mega line up that included Anthony Davidson, Jack Harvey, Alan Van De Merwe and Jason Swales all helped along by Anthony’s brother Ian and Haris Jung.

As I mentioned earlier Gareth Jones captained a team who’s drivers were, his podcast sidekick Paul ‘ZOG’ Ireson, Phil Duncan, Ted Kravitz, Duncan Tappy and last but no means least star MG Metro Racer Mandy Smith.
Danny’s Boys team was Danny Watts, Dino Zamparelli, James Jakes, Archie Hamilton, Andrew Richardson and James Rossiter.
The host’s Team was ‘The 2 Johnny’s’ aptly named as the line up was
JohnnyHerbert, Johnny Mowlem, Ollie Millroy, Joseph Reilly, Scott Malvern
and just to make sure they were in with a shout, super fast karter Tiffany Chittenden.

So much for the entries………. it was just 15 minutes after our scheduled start time when the green lights came on to signal the start of the 3 hour race and Wow! What a race it was too, non stop action from start to finish …………… lap times were amazing with the top 6 teams on sub 41.00 secs laps ………… as the chequered flag fell it was the 2 Johnnies in 1st place with Danny’s Boy’s 2 laps and 26secs behind in 2nd and CRS Racing a further 1 lap and 41secs in 3rd ……. Johnny’s team completed 259 laps in the gruelling 3 hours ……….. please clink on the video link on the homepage for views of their victory lap with all six of them on the kart !!!

A special mention must go to Hamiltons Flyers for their brilliant effort and 14th Place, well done Paula and yes I know you will be back next year !!!
Also Herbies Heroes for still being the only team to have raced at every JHKC.

Our trackside Auction raised further funds with one of Johnny’s daughters persuading him to part with £500 cash for the Nomex vest worn last season by the new World Champion, Seb Vettel and Simon Delamare purchased a wing end plate from Jenson Button’s 2008 Honda Trophy presentations were carried out by Claire Marshall and Kirsty Simpson of The Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance.

Overall our gross takings were over £13,000, so well done to you all.

Final Results

Pos Team Name Laps Fastest Lap On Lap By

1st The 2 Johnnies 259 40.39 24 Jo Reilly
2nd Danny’s Boys 257 40.45 228
3rd CRS Racing 255 40.77 237
4th Race Drivers Inc. 255 40.77 244
5th 5 Live F1 255 40.72 255
6th BCTV 252 40.95 246
7th Rapid Response 250 41.65 219
8th Get Solutions 248 41.55 236
9th Ministry of Speed 248 41.99 114
10th Gareth Jones on Speed 244 40.93 7
11th Herbies Heroes 243 41.89 236
12th Porsche Worx 241 42.13 204
13th Shumuckers 241 42.65 119
14th Hamiltons Flyers 237 42.26 138
15th The Odd Shapes 237 42.16 171
16th Team Forum 236 42.95 83
17th The Weston Boys 235 42.35 208
18th Team Dentfix 235 43.18 1
19th Norfolk’n Chance 234 42.33 216
20th The Raceway 232 40.96 1
21st Homeaway Arrows 230 42.19 21

I would like to thank everyone who took part in this 17th year of The Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge and to all those who helped with the organisation and running of this great event, I Thank You ……….. until the next one ………..

Farewell

Roy Craig

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 18 Mar 2011 at 00:48.