View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3291988)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
RBR can look for another Vettel far more cheaply than buying an existing or current champion. But if you don't cut the mustard they aren't going to mess around and that is maybe why being a Red Bull baby is a bit of a poisoned chalice. You may only get one throw at it
If Red Bull drop you then everyone knows you aren't probably up to elite standard so it creates an signal to every other team in the F1 paddock that you aren't going to set the world on fire.
the counterpoint to that is that you *do* at least get a chance to have a go though. they'll give you a couple of seasons if you deliver on the way up, which is more than guys like frijns have right now. aside from a huge wallet, red bull seem to be the only ones who really know what to look for in a potential f1 driver and even then their decisions have been a bit off. but what they can do is take a very good, if not absolutely the best talent and turn them into a very competant f1 driver. not all that easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
It'll be strange seeing Da Costa in the Torro Rosso next year, in some ways he hasn't really earned that seat yet. A few wins in WSR, mostly last year, and then a solid comeback in Gp3 in 2012 (only because Mitch just couldn't seem to string some luck together in the latter half) doesn't put him above guys like Valsecchi and Frijns who are champions.
i agree about da costa, but i think that's just because there was so much noise about him last year. ricciardo had a very quiet year (aside from a monaco win) in the run up and parallel to his hrt drive a couple of years ago, so they're not really looking for the same things we look for. he has been stitched up by some interesting team decisions this year to be fair, that engine issue at the red bull ring definitely has more to it than meets the eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
And look down to RBR's driver programme. Both da Costa and Sainz Jr could do with a couple more seasons under their belts to mature and become a world class racer, which they have the potential to do, but Danil Kyvat? His awful test showings at Silverstone aren't the only problems. If he's meant to be the next driver for RBRs F1 team(s), then why is he not competitive in European F3? Whilst Marciello is Ferrari's man, why not invest in Felix Rosenqvist or Alex Lynn, who show more potential?
da costa has been around single seater racing so long that if he isn't ready now, he isn't ever going to be ready. have a look at his career, and the teams he has had the opportunity to drive for. i think you're being a bit harsh on sainz jnr and kvyat though - there is no single way to treat all drivers that will extract the maximum from them. i personally believe that kvyat is damn quick, but he's missing so many strings to his bow that they should be picking a very very good engineer, and sticking him in f3 for a few years. if he's still not there then he never will be. there's more to it than simply results.

i just had a look at the 3.5 field to try and find some counter-suggestions to your f3 ones (who don't inspire me at all, sorry ), but mclaren, and lotus have got the couple of drivers who i'm most impressed by. i think muller has endless potential and would be a great fit with williams, stevens is fine for caterham, but i can't quite think of a home for melker. he's really quick though, even if you get the distinct impression that he's being flattered by a teammate whose heart just isn't in it any more.

i think you're barking up the wrong tree by suggesting there's bias within red bull, but that's just my opinion rather than being backed up by some sort of ~insider knowledge. ricciardo has just been doing exactly what he's been doing all year whilst vergne has good days and bad days around him. there's no doubt that on a good day, jev is better than ricciardo, imo. vergne was fine in qualifying in 3.5 and f3, give or take a tenth or two with similar small time and tyre windows for performance, so perhaps it's related to tyre characteristics?

also, imo you're flattering hulkenberg - throughout his career to f1 he has had the best car, in the best team in any series. he's very good and well-practiced at exploiting that, and he's certainly producing some good performances in f1, but a hero? hmmm.

woah, epic post, sorry!