View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2001, 02:20 (Ref:57950)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, let's leave the love interest out, unless we do it "Bonanza Style" and have the Heroine's Girl blown to bits before the end of the race.

I am astonished that no one has ever made a movie out of the Paris-Dakar.

I see three parallel stories - the Bike Racer, the Young Racer and the World Weary Navigator/Co-Driver - and the Seemingly Evil Rebel Leader Lying in Wait, who turns out to be a crackerjack mechanic and fixes some important whatzit on the Hero Car, after hitching a ride on the Hero Bike to the staging area to bring back Guys with Microphone and a cooler...

World Weary Navigator driving through the night as Young Racer recovers from bad bout of jungle tummy and spills story of life by roadside waiting for Evil Guy to come back with cooler etc. ... WWN stops just before dawn and hands car back to YR with inspirational speech that allows YR to rise above his fugue state and make it across the finish line at Dakar...which he thought was in Tunisia. Good thing he wasn't the navigator, I guess.

Scenes in between of merrymaking, fist fights, Author's Message type declamation by World Weary Guys who tell Young Upstarts the race was harder in the old days etc. and so on.

Good place for musical numbers (must think of sound track sales, after all.) Hire drivers who can sing or play musical instrument, preferably something portable. Preferably not accordian. Violin or flute good, brass instruments best. No guitars. Been done.

Send Craig Pollock out before race to scout for land mines.