View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2680559)   #4
BJD
Rookie

BJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine6 View Post
Hi all,

I also dont have a big budget so would i be right in thinking the best way for me to get started is in something like The ford XR championship or something along those lines?

Many thanks for any help it will be appreciated.
Hi, its always going to be an "It depends" answer. If you already have a car that is big enough to tow with, then you have a few more options open. If you don't have a tow car/nowhere to store a trailer, may be worth thinking about a series where you can drive the car to the track. Seen any series racing (when marshalling) that you fancy? If you are on a budget, avoid any series with a reputation for damage, repair bills can add a lot to the cost of a season. As somebody has said above, when starting out a one make series can be a really good idea, as there are loads of people running similar cars for advice/info. Also if you come unstuck for a part on race day, chances are somebody else in the paddock will have it. If you are racing something unique, you need to think about carting a load of spares backwards and forwards as well as the car. Something lighter will (usually) cost less on tyres and brakes during a season. I'd probably draw up a list of must haves/preferences, then see which series' match up to your list. Eg FWD or RWD, one make or mixed, limited tuning/modifications allowed or open chequebook, road registered or out and out racers, etc etc.

There are quite a few series' out there aimed at people on a limited budget, no doubt the recruiting sargents will be along shortly