View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2517042)   #81
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't this just a bit like the footballer's transfer market. Remember it is the clubs who are racing, not the drivers (in theory) so if they chop and change the team and move people in and out of the club the Football fan will be familiar with the concept and accept that. Leave someone in place too long and the driver might get the recognition, not the team.

Or am I being cynical?

Since the seats seem to be occupied on a race by race basis (and football teams come and go in the series) I suspect driver changes are not a big deal to the publicity machine other than for local marketing. In the long term having a pool of drivers familiar with the cars and available on a race my race basis might be a good thing for the series concept. Perhaps less so for the drivers if they are seeking continuity as part of their career development. But then if you want that you are likely to have missed that boat already if you end up driving in SF rather than for a feeder organisation like Red Bull or the McLaren approach or BMW Juniors (if that still exists ...)

There is a certain attraction to a mix of new boys, established journeymen, former F1 level drivers and the odd F1 pensioner added to teh mix from time to time as a standards comparisons of sorts.

Schumacher the elder is a soccer fan isn't he? I wonder if he might be interested when his Ferrari revival escapade comes to an end?