View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3060330)   #12
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got home Saturday night with 200 laps to go and proceeded to not see a single caution from that point forward.

There was a race Dale Jarrett won once at Michigan where there was not a single caution the whole race that I think he even conceded "was probably not that entertaining". Mid-to-late '90s. These kinds of races I call "F1 races on ovals".

From Frontstretch.com's (a NASCAR-heavy racing site) review of the race:

http://www.frontstretch.com/mmclaughlin/38345/

Quote:
The Key Moment – With 31 laps left to run, Greg Biffle made a banzai pass on Jimmie Johnson for the lead. Johnson had been struggling with lapped traffic most notably in the person of one Ryan Newman. The pass caused such a stir amongst the nearly dozens of fans left awake in the grandstands it woke up several others in their respective rows. Sixteen laps later Johnson, slapped the wall to all but seal the deal for Biffle.

In a Nutshell – I’ve seen better racing contests between amphibians. Putrid, utterly and relentlessly putrid to a degree that redefines putridity.

What They’ll Be Talking About Around the Water Cooler This Week
Any more questions as to whether these 1.5-mile cookie cutters are destroying a once exciting sport?

Humpy Wheeler, NASCAR visionary and ex-head honcho at Charlotte, spoke about his own unique ideas on how to fix the racing at the intermediate tracks this week. Wheeler proposed that the field compete in several heat type races with the best finishers heading to the main event, a format used at most local short tracks. (And, of course, a “consolation” race for those not qualified for the main after the heats.) Run the main event for a short distance for all the marbles and let them have at it, basically ensuring four or five good races at an event rather than one long boring one like Saturday night’s debacle. I’m not sure how that would work as far as the points system, but I’m willing to try anything to avoid another “race” as monotonous as what we endured Saturday.

Overall Rating (On a scale of one to six beer cans, with one being a stinker and a six pack an instant classic) — We’ll give this race one can of tepid Lone Star you have to share with a dying cowboy in the backseat of a Greyhound bus out of Abilene. (Few people outside of Texas may realize that Lone Star is the only product to be marketed both as a beer and a paint thinner.)
or if you take a couple posts on a message board on it:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sad that some people said this race was boring.. It was anything but boring!! This is what NASCAR racing was like in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s for the most part and its the way its supposed to be!! I thought it was a great race!!!!
I agree. It's amazing how whiney and hypocritical the NASAR community is. On one hand, they whine and cry about Nascar being rigged for throwing bs debris cautions. Then this same group wants to cry like little babies when they have long green flag runs. NASCAR should quit listening to the fans, because for the most part, they have proven to be incapable of knowing what they want. I think a lot of them them just like to complain.
It more amazes me how many cars finished on the lead lap.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 16 Apr 2012 at 16:24.