View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2015, 12:28 (Ref:3565107)   #635
Nial McCabe
Rookie

United States
New Jersey - USA
Nial McCabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My "winter car" is an MX5 Miata I bought new 15 years ago. Great car.

But I've assembled a little collection of cheap, classic cars I also enjoy.
Here in my part of the US (New Jersey) we are allowed to register cars as "historic" as long as they are 25+ years old and we don't drive them more than 2000 miles per year. Insurance for these type of cars is cheap (roughly $100 per year) and there is no MOT or road inspection (technically the police could pull you over but that rarely happens as long as you drive sensibly and the car is not smoking heavily).

I have a '73 MG Midget bought as a "parts car" to provide my racer with a spare 1275 engine. Afterwards, I hated to junk it since it was pretty solid. It needed a top, one fender, windshield and of course, an engine. But I had all that stuff laying about from previous projects. However, the only engine I had was a 948 cc engine saved from my A35 racer-project. So now I have a '73 Midget with a 948 engine. I brush painted it with enamel fence paint. It's slow, but runs great. I have less than $300 (under 200 GBP) invested in it.

I found a "barn find" '69 MGB that a friend tipped me off about. I cleaned I up and it is actually very nice. Here in the US it's worth about $7000 (4500 GBP) but I have less than $1500 (970 GBP) in it total. I do like the timeless styling of chrome-bumper MGBs and it's my wife's favourite classic car. But eventually I'll probably sell it.

A Robin Hood S7 (fake Lotus 7). Sierra 2.0 with 5 speed. Great fun. I imported it from the UK. We are not allowed to import classics unless they are at least 25 years old so this is an early one. I got a decent deal on it (it cost me more to ship it over here). I'd prefer a real Lotus 7 or a Chaterham but not for the prices they want over here ($40,000+). I drove it about 25 miles yesterday. It's a big hit with everyone but you better be an extrovert......all sorts of random strangers walk up to you to ask to you about it. Grandkids love it too.

My entire collection of "classics" probably cost me less than a basic, new Hyundai so it's fun without breaking the bank so to speak.

I also have a Spridget and A35....neither is road legal and are only for vintage racing. We have a Chevy van for towing the race cars.
My Missus drives a 4 year old Accord.