View Single Post
Old 30 Mar 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3722634)   #242
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure where to place this question. It may already have been answered previously, but... Are either Toyota or Porsche using in 2017 (or previously) Turbulent Jet Ignition (TJI) in their LMP1 engines?

It has been a hot topic within the F1 community. I think Mercedes had it first, then Ferrari, Renault and now Honda is giving it a go. It's not particularly an easy thing to make work. If you don't know what TJI is, it basically is a pre-chamber combustion system to support very lean running (high efficiency). In place of where normally you would find a spark plug in the head, you would have a small pre-chamber, a pre-chamber fuel injector and a spark plug. The fuel in that pre-chamber is ignited and then via specific nozzles, jets of combustion gases are sent into the main combustion chamber to ignite the main (I assume very lean) fuel/air combo. The FJI system accounts for part of the power delivery as well.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/20316

I don't know if Mahle is a Porsche partner or not, but I believe Mahle has worked with Ferrari on their TJI solution.

http://www.mahle-powertrain.com/en/e...-jet-ignition/

I can't seem to find any mention of Honda or Toyota using TJI, but at the same time, I would be surprised if one or both are not using this in 2017.

Richard