Thread: Tyre rules
View Single Post
Old 7 May 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3731871)   #5
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I loathe compulsory pitstops, as it dictates a race unfairly. Back in the day, underdogs got good results by running non stop. In my view that needs to go,
Indeed, mostly doing one or more pitstops will be much faster, so in general people will pit (and I reckon they consider it adds to the show to have pitstops, which it does in my view). But you have the odd chance of someone trying to surprise everyone and go the full length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
as do the fact we're forced to use spec tyres. Bring back tyre competition
I can think of three drawbacks of tyre competition:

1 Top teams generally get preferred treatment, which I consider undesirable.
2 If one manufacturer is much more successful there is yet another reason why the field will be spread out.
3 It will cost more and costs need to be paid by someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
1. Those that got through to Q3 start the race on the tyre they set their fastest Q2 time on. I think this was changed a year or two ago.
You're right. So I then would make the rule: Those that got through to Q3 have to use in the race the tyre they set their fastest Q2 time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Mentioned elsewhere on 10-10th - use tyres with a bigger gap (2 steps between compounds at the race.) So it's hard and softs, not soft and softer. The teams that can run a longer race on harders can go for it but you have a super soft to make time if required.

(Think back to the 80's where a car behind due to an issue could pit for super quick tyres to bring them back into play. Not fool proof in the slightest but bettererish than now. Maybe.)

It's difficult for me to imagine how having two quite different compounds would impact racing. Ross Brawn's proposed "test races" would be ideal to see how certain tyre regulations would work out.