View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3757324)   #160
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Maybe that is what is wrong about motor racing, these days?

In days gone by, at drivers' briefings, it was made clear that the line, or corner, was your's providing that a driver attempting to overtake didn't have at least the front wheels ahead of your rear wheels.

It must be added, though, that, back then, we didn't have brakes that could stop you on a sixpence, and suspension/road holding was no where near as sophisticated as it is today. For these reasons and more, there weren't that many opportunities to dive down the inside of others, and so there were rarely comings together for these types of incidents.

Furthermore, we would be reminded during the briefings, ever so often, that we participated in a non-contact sport. And as a result, we didn't engage in paint swapping, leaning on door handles or push to passes. My car went through five year's of racing, about 20 outings a year, without a scratch on it.

Drivers tended to respect each other back then, and they also knew that most of us would have to dig deep into our own pockets to pay for any repairs. And they wouldn't have liked it to happen to themselves, either.
There is still a healthy respect for each other's cars and ultimately wallets in some series. IMHO, TTRS and PBMWC (managed by project 8 racing) are a couple of leading clubs championships for enforcing driving standards.

Ultimately it's the policing of the standards that drive how good the non-contact part our sport actually is.

One of the reasons I chose that series to race in. I want to spend my budget racing and not fixing my car.