View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3715965)   #16
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Peter,

Dunlops into Appendix K should be read as pointed out below, fair and square.

As said, if an organizer wishes to run what he wants, that is his point through supplementary regulations and at National level, it is up to the relevant ASN to validate the ruling, FIA doesn't even look at it.

The Dunlop is in the FIA rules as well as Avons, Goodyears, etc. in the subsequent articles detailed under Article 8 of Appendix K as well as E or DOT tyres when relevant or authorized so it is more of a bad interpretation or let's say "legend" being circulated.

However and for particular Periods, if running strictly to FIA Appendix K - which is rarely the case these days - yes, the Dunlop is the reference tyre and this is due to the history of historic motor sport, mainly because Dunlop has been the relevant supplier for a very long time accross all categories. And no, we're not getting a penny on every tyre....

If organizers have a problem, the rules are available all around on internet, do they ask us the question, yes and we answer with what has just been pointed out or maybe, they simply do not care about rules or read but that is another problem.

E or DOT tyres are a given in hill climbs but again, an organizer can bring them in if he wishes to and if they comply with period dimensions. Something which can prove complicated these days. Look at the CR6 ZZ, nothing like a sixties' tyre in profile, compound or usage as it's a radial. Michelin, still do XAS, TB5 and TB15, etc.

If another fitment fits the criteria of a grid that is no longer supplied, then tell the organizer to write it down in its supplementary regulations.

I understand the issue of Dunlops but as said, the sport has grown in numbers and we're not talking of manufacturing t-shirts here, I would rather stick to Dunlops even if poor rather than bringing crazy setups and denaturing how old cars should behave, it should be all about powersliding!

PS - On Homologations, remember that for Period F, manufacturing of a 100 cars was required with standard specification, then, a manufacturer could homologate variants for engines, brakes, cooling, bodywork, etc.

8. TYRES
8.1 General

8.1.1 All cars taking part in Competitions on the International Sporting Calendar must comply with the following tyre regulations unless the approved specific Competition or series regulations vary. Such variations may be approved by the FIA which will be the final arbiter in the event of any dispute.
Louis

That is pretty much what I thought.
The problem seems to be that race organisers think that the FIA insist on the use of Dunlop tyres.
Reading the regulations I think it could be said it is not very clear/easy, which is why I suggest that maybe the FIA could explain explicitly to organisers that they can use alternatives.

Things like CR6 ZZs are definitely inappropriate but Michelin Z type tyres are available and were used in period so a simple statement saying that period type tyres are acceptable could help.

If you look at just F1 in the 50s there were a lot of different tyres used, Englebert, Pirelli, Dunlop, Avon and so on, so restricting such cars to Dunlops is not historically correct.

As you say making historic racing tyres isn't a way to get rich but there are some companies who could be tempted (e.g. Blockley who's owner does not need to make another fortune) but as things stand the race organisers don't give them a chance and it looks like they feel it is the FIA who tell them to use Dunlops.

Best wishes
Peter