Thread: Team Marussia - what next?
View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3479388)   #129
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That really doesn't make sense; in fact, one could easily argue the exact opposite, although, granted, their fixed overheads should have been lower.
the fixed overheads are exactly what i'm talking about. it's very easy to reduce your costs according to the intricacies of your cashflow when you have low fixed overheads. if you're looking to take on a new project you want one that's operating in a streamlined and cost effective manner from the getgo.

the company i work for has about a 50-50 split between in house manufactured parts and bought in components. i'm responsible for buying both. i prefer external suppliers because you know exactly where you stand. in house and external stuff both have lead times, and every time you have to ask for a favour and for something to be sped through the system (though some things genuinely do take that long to make from start to finish) you know that something else is suffering as a result.

if you don't have the capital to invest in the kit like huge ass autoclaves and tons of machines then you have no choice but to use third parties. if you manage perfectly well with those third parties there's no reason to go chasing the capital to make it happen. by design they don't have the funds for updates every race, so there's no need for excessive control over their leadtimes.

tl;dr - fair points but i think they've shown it worked fine.