View Single Post
Old 8 May 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3535555)   #2598
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
At Le Mans, braking energy is sufficient enough for 6mj at least. From the two straights then mulsanne to indy is probably enough to recover more than half that total. Didnt seem like Toyota had any trouble harvesting all the total last year, at least at Le Mans. But obviously they improved on that. Interesting that the LM package this year is very unique, reiterated again by Pascal Vasselon. I guess its closer to what Nissan views as its approach. Making the car suit Le Mans and the other races are a secondary concern.
Yes i suppose is like that.

I suppose harvesting at brake from the font axle is good enough for 4 MJ... there is a transfer of weight upon braking into front, it can be very efficient harvesting from there, at least Audi doesn't seem to have problems with that.

Harvesting from the rear axle is much more tricky... there is the question of less efficiency at braking but also the engine torque to count on that also has an additional braking effect upon braking... and you can't overbrake the engine and lower too much the reving, because in the sequent acceleration phase the work on the engine will have to be harder... and you lose not only efficiency but also part of the benefice of having more energy to release(and lose fuel allocation if you try). So its not a small problem for Toyota and 8 MJ.

For Nissan the premisses will be very identical... they have a direct no round trip losing energy harvesting method, but they don't seem to have the ability to harvest from the rear axle(no MGU in the rear axle or link with this rear axle)(only Toyota has a rear axle MGU, or a gearbox MGU more precisely)... its a all front design ... so taking Audi in comparison, with the more efficient harvesting method perhaps Nissan is good enough for 6MJ, but don't count on more, they probably are already having lots of problems pushing for 6 MJ...

Last edited by hcl123; 8 May 2015 at 16:32.