Thread: Blue Flags
View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1551917)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
And that is why blue flagging is the best job on the circuit - the most rewarding and the most frustrating all rolled up into one
Exactly Shelagh.....

I was flagging at Houston Champ Cars in 2001 when Paul Tracy came hurtling towards me at around 180mph with a 'slower car' in front. I "Blue-Flagged" the slower car causing the driver to glance in his mirror, pull over off the racing line, and allow Tracy to enter the corner at full speed on the correct line. Fine, just what I've been trained to do but the best was next lap........

PT comes around again, maybe only doing around 150mph now and brakes for my corner.......only to look over at me and wave his thanks!! Talk about a rush!!

I know most marshals across the world don't "do-it" for the thanks but when something like that happens it doesn't half make-up for all the wet and cold days spent on the bank.

btw, this was the same race when a blue flag took part in a relay but that's another story.