View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1200092)   #35
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
The Toyota sidepods are actually appreciably smaller in height - they start lower below the cockpit opening level, rather than flush with it, and then slope somewhat more gently back than the Sauber's. The Gascoyne car does have more horizontal and less curvy streamlining to the rear wheels, but the sidepod shape beneath it is just as cut-away as the Sauber's, even if it does lack the curvaceousness.
Glen, you're absolutely right with the height point, but...
all over the years it has been clear that the general height of the side pods doesn't mean so much: remember for example how good were the Ferrari 641/2, the 1995 and 1996 Williams, the 98/99 McLarens, the Ferrari F2001,
the 1994/95 Benetton Renault... all worldchampions cars (apart the first, for a couple of points, grrr...) with remarkably high sidepods if compared to the others... Its important how they're shaped and integrated with the other parts of the car

I insist on the fact that the overall fron section of the C24 sidepods should be smaller than the TF105 ones, which are a sort of "square" in section; the gain in height could be somelike 6/8cm max. while the Sauber's gain much more transversally in the section, imho.

Also, if you watch the side view... it's clear the highest point of them is more advanced than the lower part reminding a sort of wing shape, too; which has never been seen before and could be interesting.

What do you think?