View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1200469)   #43
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking more at it, this is the curved sidepod taken to the extreme, I suspect the reasoning for this is the control of the airflow from under the now raised, and hence less efficient front wing. It really looks like there is a clear path for the airflow from underneath the chassis around the sides from the splitter, too the rear end. Not a new idea maybe, but a bigger evolution than anything seen before. With having non-of the inlet lower down, this should make for a much smoother flow around this section of the car, highly useful given the reduced effectivness of the rear diffuser now. All the air flow in the lower sections is really going to be very well managed to get the best efficiency, and to stop turbulent air being created/disturbing smooth air.

Regarding the bargeboards, I would guess they are having some influence on the airflow into the 'pod, for 2 reasons. One the height, they have deffiently grown in height over last years models, not that far off the tallest one's McLaren used a few years ago ('98-'01 I believe). Two, the upward sloping strake/flipup on the board itself, it's aiming directly at the 'pod inlet.

Something I have just noticed too, is that the car has gills on the top suface the pod, it's only noticeable if you zoom in on the front 3/4 veiw.

oh and here's the exhaust...

Very very diddy exit it has to be said, looks like the exhaust is either very short, or contorts in an interesting manner in the engine bay. Same thing for the '05 ferrari maybe?
Actually you can also just about see the gills in that pic too.

Oh and to help out Shiny Side Up, it's a single keel

Regards
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 14 Jan 2005 at 02:05.