Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1625437)   #31
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scenario is pretty much the same as you remember it save that the standard classes have just about disappeared just leaving the modified (roadgoing) and very modified (slicks) classes.

The ASWMC is unique (I think) in allowing list 1b in the modified/roadgoing class. All other regions insist on 1a and have a class split at 2 litres rather than the ASWMC's 1800cc (don't get me started on that one...).

So - I turn up on the road in our Lotus Cortina to compete in a ROADGOING class on my road legal 1b tyres and have to deal with Elises and Exiges in my class (don't get me started on mixing saloons and sportscars....) - most fellow competitors having arrived on trailers.

1b tyres actually even things up dramatically. If I had to run 1a it wouldn't be worth coming out to play but the modern cars would be fine. In fact, our car isn't much fun on 1a tyres.

So perhaps we should try a historic class.

Well, we've been running at Prescott for years now in a class where any road legal tyre is permitted as are slicks that are cut in a particular way.

Despite the fact that these tyre rules have been set in stone for years and years, and despite the fact that just about any other modification goes, and despite the fact that the class record has been held for years by a chap who runs on very very sticky cut Hoosier crossply slicks, there are still mutterings about how we should all be on list 1a.

For the love of everything that is holy wot is wrong with these people??

I even got thrown out of my class once because the scrutineer said that my 1b tyres weren't road legal. Had to kick up a fuss to get reinstated - not the best use of everyone's leisure time.

I've had enough - we're running on cut sticky crossply slicks from now on. Still no trailer, major pain.

Oh - another point for the list 1a brigade - you can't get the right size tyres for our car in list 1a.

Grrr....